Saturday, January 23, 2010

Haiti, Haiti, Haiti

First things first, some of you have said you are having trouble leaving comments. (thanks for the emails) Try hitting the comment down below, I have set it up so you can even leave a comment anonymously. Just keep trying, I look forward to hearing from you.

Okay with that out of the way. I was laying on the waxing table going through the social exceptable womens routine of having hair ripped off my face. All I could think about is the responses to yesterdays Blog. The most interesting was my beautiful husband, he pokes his head out of the shower and says to me "hey honey, did you hear about the group of homeless people that got together and raised money for Haiti." He continues to tell me "they did this because this group thought that the people of Haiti had it worse than them" Okay WOW!! Now that is a statement. Even the homeless are getting in on it.

I tell you this story because I believe that we should help people. Of course it has been brought to my attention that being a good Christian of course you give. But I can't help but to think about our self preservation. While the world is sending millions probably billions to Haiti. We are in a DEPRESSION. Yes I said it, a depression. While the news or our government is not saying it, I will. Foreclosures are at there highest, unemployment is at it's highest, and let's not forget the under-employed. While I have lived through a few earthquakes and have had a roof fall through and lost my home in the last big earthquake. I know they are horrible, scary and a lot of clean-up. Nobody came to my families rescue, I had to live in a friends trailer (in her backyard) with my two young daughters until we could come up with the money for a new home. I do thank God for my friends trailer and my friend. Please know I do appreciate. However, the government my government did not come to my rescue or any of the other 1000's of people who were misplaced. I was actually one of the lucky ones. Some of you might be thinking what about FEMA? Oh that was helpful and long. Okay Okay, enough about that, but what about New Orleans, it still is not rebuilt. What about the hundreds of houses that have burned to the ground right here in California. Those aren't rebuilt either. Didn't our goverment bail out the banks so that they could in turn loan money, which in turn would produce jobs?

Hmmmm......I sound a little Tony Bourdain. Cynical and angry. But I am not, no really I'm not. I do feel sorry for the people of Haiti and of course a tear comes to my eye when I see the images on tv. I just can't help but to shed a tear for us too. It is a little scary what is happening in our own country. Hey Government people What About Us????

No comments: