Friday, January 22, 2010

The Beginning

While I understand with a name like Cook's Thoughts. One might think this blog will be about cooking. As it turns out I am a professional chef. In the future there may be some useful information about cooking. However, that is not what this blog is completely about.

Today for instance I was trying to get a badge in pogo (it is a game site) and in the chat people were talking about Haiti and how they were tired of seeing the send money to Haiti relief. People were talking about how broke they were but they did send 10 dollars to Haiti. (maybe it's because the tv won't let us forget) One woman had been looking for a job for months and had a interview later this day and we all wished her well. Then the conversation turned to how expensive food was and how the bail out for the banks was a joke. I started to think.

Wow, how amazing people are that even though they don't have a job, they found 10 dollars to send accross the ocean. To people they will never meet.

While I am mad at the banks and our government. In fact, my husband supports us by building. He is a contractor and there is no work right now, because banks are not loaning. So while we pinch every penny and try to save our house like the rest of the country. I am still amazed at us as a whole. We still give what we can at church when that basket comes around. We still send 10 dollars a person for people we will never meet. I find that amazing. Is this good? Should we be more self preserved? A little more selfish? After all what can 10 dollars get us these days?

No comments: